THE ASSAM CRIMINAL LAW AMENDMENT (SUPPLENTARY) ACT, 1934
ACT No. XXVII OF 1934
( For Statement of Objects and Reasons, see Gazette of India, 1934, Pt. V, p. 180.)
[25th August, 1934]
An Act to supplement the Assam Criminal Law Amendment Act, 1934
WHEREAS it is expedient to supplement the Assam Criminal Law Amendment Act, 1934 ; It is hereby enacted as follows Assam III of 1934 :‑
1. Short title. This Act may be called the Assam Criminal Law Amendment (Supplementary) Act, 1934.
2. Appeals and confirmations. ‑(1) Any person convicted on a trial held by Commis sioners under the Assam Criminal Law Amendment Act, 1934, may appeal to the High Court of ( Subs. by A. O., 1961, Art. 2 (with effect from the 23rd March, 1956), for "East Bengal " which had been subs. by the Central Laws (Statute Reform) Ordinance, 1960 (21 of 1960), s. 3 and 2nd Sch., for "Judicature at Fort Wil liam in Bengal" (with effect from the 14th October, 1955).)[East Pakistan, and such appeal shall be disposed of by the said High Court in the manner provided in Chapter XXXI of the Code of Criminal Procedure, 1898 Assam III of 1934, V of 1898.
(2) When the said Commissioners pass a sentence of death, the record of the proceedings before them shall be submitted to the said High Court, and the sentence shall not be executed unless it is confirmed by the High Court which shall exercise in respect of such proceedings all the powers conferred on the High Court by Chapter XXVII of the Code of Criminal Procedure, 1898 V of 1898.
3. Bar of certain legal proceedings. The powers conferred by section 491 of the Code of Criminal Procedure, 1898, shall not be exercised in respect of any person arrested, committed to or detained in custody under the Assam Criminal Law Amendment Act, 1934 V of 1898, Assam III of 1934.
4. Retrospective effect of sections 2 and 3. Section 2 and section 3 shall have effect from the com mencement of the Assam Criminal Law Amendment Act, 1934 Assam III of 1934.