JUDICIAL COMMISSION OF PAKISTAN RULES, 2010
[Gazette of Pakistan, Extraordinary, Part II, 8th November, 2010]
S.R.O. 122(KE)/2010, dated 6-11-2010.--In exercise of powers conferred by clause (4) of Article 175-A of the Constitution of the Islamic Republic of Pakistan, the Judicial Commission of Pakistan is pleased to make the following rules, namely:--
1. Short title and commencement.--- (1) These rules may be called the Judicial Commission of Pakistan Rules, 2010.
(2) These rules shall come into force at once.
2. Definitions. ---(1) In these rules, unless the context otherwise requires,---
(a) "Chairman" means Chairman of the Commission;
(b) "Commission" means the Judicial Commission of Pakistan, established under Article 175A of the Constitution of the Islamic Republic of Pakistan;
(c) "Committee" means a Committee constituted by the Chairman from amongst the members of the Commission;
(d) "Member" means a member of the Commission; and
(e) "Secretary" means the Registrar Supreme Court or any other person authorized as such by the Chairman.
3. Nominations for Appointments. --(1) For each anticipated or actual vacancy of a Judge in the Supreme Court or the Chief Justice of Federal Shariat Court or the Chief Justice of a High Court, the Chief Justice of Pakistan shall initiate nominations in the Commission for appointment against such vacancy.
(2) For each anticipated or actual vacancy of a Judge in the Federal Shariat Court or Judge in the High Court, the Chief Justice of the respective Court shall initiate and send nomination for appointment against such vacancy to the Chairman for convening meeting of the Commission.
4. The Chairman shall regulate the proceedings of the Commission.
5. Proceedings of the Commission. ---(1) Whenever a nomination is received under Rule 3, the Chairman shall call a meeting of the Commission on a date, time and place determined by him and notified by the Secretary to each member.
(2) The Commission may call for any information or record required by it from any person or authority for the purposes of carrying out its functions.
(3) The Secretary shall forward the nominations made by the Commission to the Secretary of the Parliamentary Committee constituted under clause (9) of Article 175A of the Constitution.
(4) The proceedings of the Commission shall be held in camera. A record of the proceedings shall be prepared and maintained by the Secretary duly certified by the Chairman under his hand.
The Chairman may constitute one or more committees of members for such purpose as may be deemed necessary.
A retired Chief Justice or retired Judge Supreme Court and a retired Chief Justice or a retired Judge of High Court, while attending a session of the Commission, shall be entitled to TA/DA and accommodation as admissible to Judge of Supreme Court, or Judge of High Court, as the case may be.
8. Relaxation of Rules. ---Without prejudice td the foregoing, the Chairman may relax strict application of these rules in the public interest.