ACT XIX OF 1972
NATIONAL BOOK FOUNDATION ACT, 1972
An Act to provide for the establishment of a Foundation for making books available at moderate prices
(Gazette of Pakistan, Extraordinary, 25th September 1972)
The following Act of the National Assembly received the assent of the President on the 25th September 1972, and is hereby published for general information:‑
Whereas it is expedient to provide for the establishment of a Foundation for making books available at moderate prices, and for matters ancillary thereto;
It is hereby enacted as follows: ‑
- Short title, extent and commencement.‑(1) This Act may be called the National Book Foundation Act, 1972. .
(2) It extends to the whole of Pakistan.
(3) It shall come into force at once. .
2. Definitions. ‑‑In this Act, unless there is anything repugnant in the subject or context,‑
(a) "books" shall include textbooks, reference books and other books on religion and other books and reading material for use by students and the general public ; and
(b) "foundation" means the Foundation established under this Act.
3. Establishment 'of the Foundation.--(1) As soon as may be after the commencement of this Act, the. Federal Government may, for the purpose of making books available at moderate prices, by notification in the official Gazette, establish a National Book Foundation, hereinafter referred to as the Foundation.
(2) The. Foundation shall be a body, corporate having perpetual succession, and a, common seal with power to acquire, hold and dispose of property, both movable and immovable.
4. Constitution of the‑Foundation.‑(1) The management, overall control and supervision of the affairs of the Foundation shall vest in a, Board of Governors consisting of the following members, namely :‑
(1) the Minister for Education and Provincial Co‑ordination, who shall, also be the Chairman of the. Board; ,
(2) the Secretary, Ministry of Education and Provincial Co-ordination ;
(3) one‑ representative of each of the Provinces ;
(4) one representative of the areas not forming part of any Province to be appointed by the Federal Government ;
(5) a representative of the University Grants Commission ;
(6) the Chairman, Committee of Chairmen of Education Board;
(7) (i) five persons to be appointed by the Federal Government from, amongst eminent educationists, scholars, scientists, men, of letters and' persons connected with education or the production of books ;
(ii) live representatives of whom one shall be % female to be elected by the National Assembly of Pakistan from amongst themselves ;
(8) the Managing Director of the foundation,, to be. appointed by the Federal Government ; and ,
(9) the Secretary of the Foundation, to be appointed by the Federal Government.
(2) The members of the Board of Governors, other than the ex officio. members, shall hold office for three years and shall be eligible for re?appointment.
(3) The office of the Foundation shall be at Islamabad.
Managing Director .‑The Managing Director shall be the chief executive officer of the Foundation and shall, subject to the general supervision of the Chairman of the Board of Governors, be responsible for carrying out the objects of the Foundation as laid down by the Board from, time to time.
Functions of the Foundation.‑The following shall be the functions of the Foundation, naively :‑
(a) to receive any money .or financial grants from the Federal Govern ment. the Provincial Governments, local bodies and any statutory or non -statutory corporation ;
(b) to collect, accept or otherwise receive from any person, body. association, institution of organization any subscription or donation made to the Foundation ;
(c) to undertake writing of books and 1o encourage writers to produce good books ;
(d) to undertake the translation of foreign and locally‑produced books Into the national and regional languages of the country and vice versa ;
(e) to arrange the original publication and re‑production of local books as well as those published abroad ;
(f) to import foreign books and to undertake the, distribution of books among the educational institutions and the general public ;
(g) to encourage the .writers and the book trade in general fin the pro duction of books and making them available to the students and the general public at moderate prices ;
(h) to provide technical know‑how and financial assistance and to take other steps aimed at fostering interest in books and in reading; and
(i) to initiate such other activities and programmes as may assist in the task of book development, book promotion, advancement of literacy .and dissemination of knowledge by means of the printed word.
Audit.‑The accounts of the Foundation shall be audited annually by the Auditor‑General of Pakistan and the balance‑sheet and statements .of assets and liabilities shall be duly considered by the Board of Governors.
Power to make rules.‑The Foundation may make rules for carrying out the purposes of this Act.
Repeal. ‑The National Book Foundation Ordinance, 1972 (XXVI of :1972), is hereby repealed.