Abolition of Shishak Act 1973
ACT X OF 1973
An Act to provide for the abolition of Shishak in the Province of Baluchistan
[Gazette of Baluchistan, Extraordinary, 10th October 1973]
No. Legis-X-(6)/73.-The Abolition of Shishak Bill, 1973 having been passed by the Provincial Assembly of Baluchistan on 29th September 1973, and assented to by the Governor of Baluchistan on 5th October 1973, is hereby published as an Act of the Provincial Assembly.
**Preamble.-**Whereas the peasantry in tha Province has long been subjected to cruel customs and has been exploited ;
And whereat it !s necessary to Improve the economic well being of the peasantry and to provide some relief to the tenants with Immediate effect ;
Now, therefore, it is hereby enacted as follows :-
1. Short title, extent and commencement.-(1) This Act may be called the Abolition of Shishak Act, 1973.
(2) It etends to the whole of the province of Baluchistan except tribal areas.
(3) It shall come into force at once.
**2. Definitions.-**In this Act, unless there is anything repugnant in the subject or context-
(1) "Shishak" means that portion of the total produce of a crop which is paid to a Sardar under the local custom or usage as Sardarl Tax, but does not include proprietary rights, also known as Haq-e-Malikana (Batal), and
(2) "Sardar" means a person to whom Shishak is paid under local custom or usage and includes a Khan, Jagirdar, Malik or a motabir.
3. Abolition of Shishak.-The system of "Shishak", which is based on custom and is now being practised in the province, shall be discontinued forthwith.
**4. Act to override other laws.-**The provisions of this Act shall have effect notwithstanding any law, cuqtom or usage.
**5. Offences and Penalty.-**Whoever contravenes or abets or incites such contravention or conspires in that behalf or fails to comply with any of the provisions of this Act, shall be punished with rigorous imprisonment which may extend to seven years, or with fine, or with both.
**6. Repeal.-**The Abolition of Shishak Ordinance, 1973 (Baluchistan Ordinance No. III of 1973) is hereby repealed.